We all know collagen supplements are good for us, however the studies are long and sometimes confusing so we've broken it down for you in our Collagen 101!
1. Different types of Collagen
Aside from water, collagen is the most abundant substance in the human body.
So far there have been 29 collagen types identified and described as types 1, 2, 3 and 4 to represent over 90% of the collagen already inside of us.
- Type I Collagen is the basis for many tissues such as skin, hair, nails, gut lining, liver, bones, aorta and cornea and it is the most abundant collagen type found in the body. (Put a pin in that)
- Type II Collagen is the basis for articular cartilage and hyaline cartilage.
- Type III structurally is quite similar with Type I, found in skin, bones and muscles.
- Type IV collagen is primarily in the basal lamina (thin layer of gel-like liquid) that acts as a membrane between two sheets of cells.
2. So, if my body makes collagen why do I need to take more?
Naturally the body’s ability to produce its own collagen slows down as you age, declining rapidly with age, poor diets, lack of exercise, the introduction of toxins and sun damage from our environment. In countries like Japan, where they have collagen rich diets, you find they age extremely well. Unless you want to make bone broths everyday for the rest of your life, while delish… is super time consuming! A collagen supplement that can be added to any food might be for you?
Just some food for thought…
3. There are mountains of peer reviewed publications that prove collagen does stimulate your bodies collagen, elastin and keratin production.
Marine collagen is a very safe, affordable and highly effective way of achieving beautiful glowing skin, stronger nails, thicker hair, a healthier digestive system, more balanced hormones, more energy, stamina and increased joint strength and mobility.
''After 8 weeks of ingesting 10 grams of collagen, the following results were documented:
- 65% INCREASE IN PROCOLLAGEN TYPE 1
- 18% INCREASE IN ELASTIN
- 6% INCREASE IN FIBRILLIN
- 88% INCREASE IN HYDRATION
Patients visibly noted that their skin looked healthier, thicker, smooth and more hydrated. Patients also noted an improvement in overall inflammation, bloating, and digestive function.''
4. Is collagen essential?
Other than water, collagen is the second most important and abundant substance in our body, and when we age, this begins to break down. This causes the aging process to begin; wrinkles form, skin starts to sag, cellulite appears, our immunity and digestive systems seem more sensitive and less functional, and our joints and bones seem to ache a hell of a lot more, due to the degenerative wear and tear.
5. Pregnancy and breastfeeding safe?
Edible Earths Youth Elixir is our pregnancy and breastfeeding safe marine collagen, essential to keep mum to be healthy and happy, and for a flowing milk supply.
6. So which type of collagen should I be having?
Collagen types contain different proteins which serve separate purposes within the body. The most important collagen is Type 1 as it is the most complete due to the fact that supports skin, muscles, bones, hair and nail growth and maintenance. Type 2 Collagen protein makes up the fluids and function in the cartilage and joints
- If you want to target only joints, Type 2 Collagen might be for you.
- If you want to target holistically, Type 1 Collagen might be for you.
7. So how do I know where these different collagen types come from?
There are 3 main external sources of Collagen:
- Porcine collagen is sourced from Pigs. Type 2
- Bovine collagen is sourced from Cows. Type 2
- Marine collagen is sourced from Fish. Type 1
Porcine derived collagen is increasingly rejected for religious reasons.
The risks of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy and transmissible spongiform encephalopathy are the main reason that the use of cattle as source for collagen has been reconsidered.
Marine collagen in general is found to be about 60% purer than bovine and porcine collagen and is much safer and eco-friendlier.
8. Is Marine collagen the best overall?
Type 1 is the most abundant collagen found in the body and Marine Collagen is the most abundant Type 1 collagen source you can find. So Marine Collagen seems like the obvious choice, right? It targets all areas of the body, whereas Bovine Collagen targets mostly joints alone. Because it’s derived from fish, it has a lower gelling and melting temperature, meaning it mixes far better. It has dramatically lower molecular weight than both Bovine and Porcine Collagen, meaning it is absorbed much faster through the intestinal wall. Not only that, it is by far the purest and safest form in comparison AND its environmentally friendly as it’s derived from fish skin rather than beef offal.
Marine Collagen is also:
- Easier to use
- Use less for more benefits
- Purest and safest form of collagen
- Environmentally friendly
9. Which formula is the best one for me?
There are a number of fantastic brands currently available in Australia and throughout the world that sell Marine Collagen, however Edible Earth specialise in a more holistic, pure and bespoke approach.
Find out which scientifically formulated elixir will best suit your individual health and aging needs, by taking our quick 3 minute 'your journey' quiz.
10. Need a more intense approach, fast? Take the Edible Earth 12 Week Skin and Gut Healing Challenge…
This is organic beauty at its finest, taking any of our GLOW formulas as part of a healthy lifestyle we guarantee you’ll see your health and beauty transform on our 12 week beauty transformation programme!
Complement, or completely ditch the Botox and fillers by enjoying Edible Earths eco-luxe elixirs for more permanent long-lasting results, for a fraction of the price. We also provide you with our FREE Reset and Radiate Skin and Gut Healing Programme to enhance and speed up real results, from within!
Ok, im in! How do i get my hands on these Australian made and owned eco-luxe elixirs?
We invite you to discover our 5 unique formulas in our pioneering range: GLOW Youth, Beauty and Gut, DETOX Life and CALM Adaptogens - thousands of happy customers cant be wrong.
✔️RECOMMENDED by Australia's leading health and wellness magazines, Women's Health, Wellbeing, Prevention, Womans Day, Luxe Nomade, and nominated for various Australian Natural Beauty Awards.
Relax with peace of mind knowing that our elixirs are recommended and used by naturopaths, nutritionists, cosmetic surgeons, dermatologists, hairdressers, chiropractors, physiotherapists and leading health retreats like the exclusive Gaiai Retreat.
Every sale from Edible Earth supports brain cancer research, our disabled community and the local economy, by keeping packaging and distribution in Australia.